Replacing a lost deed poll
(or otherwise proving a past change of name)

We can always do a replacement deed poll (or statutory declaration) if you’ve lost your document, or you need another copy.

The document we do is a new, original replacement document proving a change of name that happened in the past.

☞ Apply for a replacement document

It costs £ 25 to apply for a replacement deed poll / statutory declaration.

A replacement document is different from an extra copy of your deed poll.

A replacement document shows your name was changed on a specific day (or year) in the past.

An extra copy shows a new change of name.  We can only do extra copies if you did your deed poll with us within the last 2 months.

Otherwise you’ll need to apply for a replacement document.

There’s no register of name changes or deed polls in the U.K. (like for births and deaths).  So if you’ve lost your deed poll (or statutory declaration), you won’t be able to get a copy of the actual document you originally had.  (A deed poll is a kind of legal document — not an official certificate.)

A replacement document is as good as the original one you had, though.  It has the same legal effect, and it can be used for any purpose (including passport applications).

You can apply for a replacement document even if —

  • you changed your name with another service or solicitor
  • you changed your name another way (e.g. by marriage or divorce)
  • you became known by your new name, but it was never formally documented (a change of name by usage)

(Bear in mind that a photocopy of a deed poll won’t be accepted by official organisations such as HM Passport Office, unless it’s been certified by a solicitor or notary public — making it a “certified copy”.)

☞ Apply for a replacement document

What kind of (replacement) document we can do for you

We can do either:

  • a “retroactive” deed poll — a deed poll having legal effect back to the time when your name was changed
  • a statutory declaration — a statement of fact, similar to an oath
☞ Apply for a replacement document

It costs £ 25 to apply for a replacement deed poll or statutory declaration.

You can also ask for an application form to be posted to you.

A statutory declaration is actually a better proof of a past change of name, but it has to be witnessed by a solicitor or notary public (unlike a deed poll which can be witnessed by anyone).  A solicitor / notary public in England & Wales is entitled to make a statutory charge of £ 5 for taking a statutory declaration.

We sometimes recommend a statutory declaration when you need to prove that your name actually happened in the past.  However one of our advisers will make a recommendation for you by looking at your circumstances, on a case-by-case basis — there isn’t necessarily an obvious answer.

☞ To make an application for a replacement deed poll please fill in our standard application form.

For the question “Do you need a deed poll to prove a change of name that happened in the past?” — you’ll need to answer “yes” and fill in the relevant details.

If we want to recommend you a statutory declaration instead of a deed poll, we’ll get in touch with you to discuss it with you.  (Given the complexity of past changes of name, we often get in touch with you anyway to confirm details or to find out further information.)

It costs £ 25.00 to prepare either of these kinds of documents (the base price of £ 18.00, plus a surcharge of £ 7.00 owing to the extra complexity involved).

☞ Apply for a replacement document

Have you ordered our SafeStorage™ service in the past?

☞ If so — you can apply for a replacement document from our SafeStorage archive, using our replacement application form.