Home Office change of name guidance

The Home Office (which includes HM Passport Office) has a policy on names on Home Office documents — that is, on —

  • British passports (including emergency travel documents and emergency passports)
  • Travel Documents
  • Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs)
  • visas
  • Right of Abode and certificates of entitlement
  • Residence Documents issued to EEA nationals and their family members (including derivative categories)

The Home Office’s policy on names is set out in two parts:

HM Passport Office (which is a part of the Home Office) also has further policies on children’s names: